Strategist Meetings
June 18 Yanney Park, Kearney, 9:00-3:30
Monday September 10, ESU 3, 1-5 PM Sarpy/Washington
Monday November 26, ESU 10 5-7PM Conference Room A
Wednesday December 19, DL Meeting, 9-3
Monday January 14, ESU 10, 4-7 PM Room A
Tuesday March 19, DL Meeting 9-2
Monday May 6, ESU 10, 4-7 PM Room A

2013-2014
Thursday June 20, Miss Molly's, Wayne, 8:30-4:00
Cobblestone Inn Hotel, 505 Tomar Drive Wayne, NE 68787 888-693-8262
Monday, September 9, ESU 3 1-5pm
Monday, November 11, ESU 10 4pm-7pm
December TBA (Possible Google Hangout)
Monday, January 20, ESU 10 4pm-7pm
March TBA (Possible Google Hangout)
May TBA




June 18, 2012 Strategist Meeting


SDA Strategist Meeting
May 6, 2013
4:00-7:00 PM
ESU 10

Attendance: Toby Boss, Deb Hericks, Kate Hatch, Amy Hill, Denise O'Brien
Meeting Objectives:
  • Finalize SDA Business Meeting Agenda
  • Discuss May 7 Training
    • Link to information on SDA wiki
Agenda
  • Teacher/Principal Evaluation July 30
    • SDA overview on Student Learning Objectives
  • SLDS Grant may need time on July 30 as well
  • Tuesday, July 30 5-7pm NDE Update
  • Discuss protocol for retirees
    • Create document
    • Create committee to be in charge
    • Have recommended plan by September SDA business meeting
Book Study
  • Chapters 8, 9 and Epilogue - Toby Boss
    • Chapter 8: Rice Paddies and Math Tests
      • How should we use the concept of hard work has it's rewards?
      • What does this mean for education? For us?
    • Chapter 9: Marita's Bargain
      • According to this chapter - school works when kids are in session; the gaps become evident when they are not in session (wealthier kids have more opportunities in the summer).
      • See quote on p 268.
      • What does this mean for education? For us?
    • Epilogue: A Jamaican Story
      • See quote on pg 285 - I was lucky. How does that apply to our work?

SDA Business Meeting
8:30-9:45
Objectives
  • Provide necessary updates
  • Celebrate our Members
8:30
  • Welcome
  • Announcement of new strategist - Jane Foss
    • Bylaws indicate the method for selecting new Strategists
  • LC Report - Jeff McQuistan
    • New LC advisory group
    • SDA representative - recommendation from the strategists: Chair and Recorder
    • ESU PDO Sessions May 8 and 9 - see draft agenda

  • Strategist Report - Denise O'Brien

  • Updates
    • Teacher/Principal Eval
    • KICKS

  • Celebration
    • Retirements:
      • Mitzi Hoback, ESU 4
      • Becky Brandl, ESU 8
      • Carol Jessen, ESU 8
      • Kathy Pramstaller, ESU 13
      • Michael Pruter, ESU 15
    • Others leaving our family
      • Lisa Smith, ESU 9
      • Anthony Dancer, LPS

  • Adjournment

Other Agenda Items

Mentoring of new SDA members:
ESU 1: Kellen Conroy, kconroy@esu1.org (Mentor: Jeff McQuistan)
ESU 6: Jill Johnson (Mentor: Jen Madison)
ESU 7: Marci Ostmeyer, mostmeyer@esu7.org
ESU 8: Heidi Rethmeier, Heidi.rethmeier@elgineagles.org
Stephanie Wanek, stephwanek@hotmail.com
ESU 13: Janie Beam
ESU 15: Kelly Erickson
*Who will mentor each new person, expectations of mentoring process, communication to mentor/mentees, adding names to list serves


SDA Strategist Meeting -March 19
9:00-2:00 PM
Distance Learning Meeting
Attendance:
Meeting Objectives:
  • Discuss Upcoming Training
  • Discuss/Review 2013-14 Training
  • Provide Updates
  • Develop Long Range Plan
  • Draft May 7 SDA Business Meeting Agenda
  • Discuss April 10 Training

Agenda

Teacher/Principal Evaluation
  • 17 pilot schools
    • Each school will have to provide a rating on each of the 7 NE Framework Standards
    • End of the process there is an overall rating
    • Rating on Professional Development Plan- Rubrics
    • Student Achievement Component
      • Not using NeSA
      • Conversation between the Principal and Teacher on what the teacher wants to improve on
      • Student Learning Objectives
    • Donlynn Rice would like SDA to make this a consistent process for pilot schools as well as NE roll out
  • Jim Havelka discussed the evaluation system for teachers overall
    • Evaluation of teacher practices
    • Data gathering practices - Marzano or Danielson framework- Component 1
      • Instruction
      • Teacher Practices
    • Student Achievement- Component 2
      • Number of states have already adopted Student Learning Objectives
      • This is the route NE is taking
      • In use at Ellot Elementary School in Lincoln, NE
      • Principal and Teacher agree on an objective
        • Make targets
        • Determine appropriate assessments to measure objectives
          • Could be NeSA or something different
      • Training will be needed and would like SDA to play a role in the training
        • Pilot schools will need PD on how to create SLOs
        • Need to have this accomplished by second semester of the 2013-2014 school year
        • Need to figure out how do we get the ESU Staff Devlopers ready to provide this training
        • How do we train other schools who want to adopt the state model
        • NE not set up to do value added evaluation
    • Professional Development Plan - Component 3
      • Summative component
      • Area they want to improve on
      • plan prepared
      • Evaluated on how well they reached their goal
      • Overall Rating
    • Student Learning Objectives (SLO) Training - Kate and Curriculum Bucket
      • Kate and Toby have had a conversation about this
        • Curriculum Bucket seems to be a fit for this initative
        • Thinking about 1/2 day to day of training
          • Jim discussed that for the SIG Grant schools this training was inadequate
          • Should be training over time
          • Principals and teachers need additional support
            • What is an appropriate target and objectives?
            • How do we assess and measure?
          • Create some local SDA experts
          • NE SLOs will be a small part of evaluation at the start
            • Should be come more important over time
          • Rhode Island Department of Education- good resource for SLOs
        • Curriculum Bucket group - SLOs
          • Meet with Jim and Donlynn
          • Then determine how we do it
          • Could be part of the school improvement workshops (1/2 day)
          • PDO plans
          • May need a day of training in September
          • Looking for 3 or so people to put things together
        • Jim willing to work with SDA on this component
        • Possible time- afternoon before Administrator Days Tuesday, July 30
          • Deb Hericks- please call and book the rooms at ESU 10
        • Next steps
          • Schedule a Google Hangout with Curriculum Bucket Group
        • Would like respresentation from ESU 4, 15, 16, 17 at the April 24 NDE Pilot meeting
          • 8:30am-4:00pm
          • Want Staff Developers to assist pilot schools with implementation plans
          • NDE has an implementation guide
          • Morning will be spent having schools offer input on forms and policies
          • Sue Pressler facilitating a Danielson Training
        • Tammy Heflebower facilitating a Marzano training in June
        • Would like to see schools develop a PLC model to implement the model during the school year
  • Invite Jim and Donlynn to our May 7th business meeting to disucc status and plans
Celebrate Success
Stuff I want to discuss:
Book Study
  • Chapters 5-7 - Denise
  • May 6: Chapters 8, 9 and Epilogue - Toby Boss

Training Discussion
  • April 10 2013
  • Toby is meeting with Mitch on Friday
    • Planning to guide some of the topics to cover
    • Basically will tell Dorchester's story
    • 15 currently registered
    • Charlotte Danielson books will be purchased for each participant
  • Discuss/Review 2013-14 Training
    • Jim Knight Coaching - November 12 and 13
      • Movement to be more inclusive to invite other affiliates
      • If you invite other schools, it should be schools ESUs are working with to help with implementation
    • MRL Proficiency Scales - April 8 and 9
      • Questions on if two days of proficiency scales are what we need at this time
      • Reserved the dates with Tammy
      • Keep the dates on hold
        • Potential additional topics- essential learnings, common core
        • 1 Day on essential learnings; 2nd day how to write them
      • Larry Ainsworth- Lead and Learn another option
    • Principal Training
      • Toby talked to Dan at NCSA to support the training
      • They are willing to support the traninings, advertise, take registrations, etc.
      • Could be linked to NCSA Principal training
      • Leadership Bucket will be creating these trainings for Prnicipals
      • ESUCC and NDE are planning to discuss initatives at their planning meeting in April
        • Realize we need to build a network across the state to fulfill need
    • Discussion of protocals for Bucket Groups
      • When do they plan trainings?
      • Are the trainings just for SDA memebers? Do they plan outside trainings?
      • Discussion among Strategists about trainining decisions of the Bucket Groups
      • We will check in after the April 10th training to decide how to proceed
  • Updates
    • ESUPDO LC
      • Matt and Freida are meeting on Thursday to discuss May PDO meetings
        • Matt wants to make May more of a mini-conference
          • Work specific to action plans
          • Breakout sessions in regards to these plans
          • Establish priorities across the state
            • work on these throughout the year
            • showcase in May
            • SLDS and Teacher/Principal Evaluation
        • Add Dr. Breed, Jim Havelka, Marilyn Peterson, and Jim Woodland from NDE for the PDO end of the year celebration
        • Breakout sessions
        • End with general session
        • NDE information
        • BlendEd info
        • May 7 specific to affiliates because it is a NDE State Board Meeting
      • LC is trying to set up a consistent format for September, January and May meetings
      • LC Wki
      • April 4 ESUCC Presentation
        • ESU 3 Toby will be going
        • NDE Representation will be there
          • Those directly involved with the initiatives we discussed in January
    • Matt recommendation for new PDO Structure
      • Not a term on a specific committee
      • It will be a more fluid process depending on the intiatives at the time
      • This has not been presented to the LC yet
      • PD Committee Administrators- will take a more active role in this structure
      • Approved by ESUCC at their last meeting
      • Attempt to help people be involved but not over tax them
  • Select an advisory group that would serve under the PD Committee. Create a policy/procedure for ESUCC.
    • NDE
      • Jim Havelka gave us an update on Teacher/Principal Evaluation earlier today
      • Freida will be sending out an email soon to start establishing the school improvement workshops this fall
        • 4 possibly 5 sites
        • One focus will be school board members
      • Summer NDE will take a look at Fine Arts Standards
      • Toby has worked with Harris Payne on Unpacking Standards ESU 6 SS Wiki
    • Crisis Team - Denise
    • Strategist Book Study for 2013-2014
      • Energy Bus
      • Fierce Conversations
      • Fierce Leadership
      • Critical Conversations
      • Multipliers by Liz Wiseman
      • Decided on the Energy Bus by Jon Gordon, Deb H. will order copies.
      • Will receive the book in May and begin discussion in June
    • NWEA
      • Want NE feedback on what works for evaluation on Day 3 in June
        • Suggestion to poll the participants and see if need 2 or 3 days
        • Matt needs to discuss the issue with NWEA
      • Training for new staff developers
        • Stepping Stones- round 2?
        • When we have 8 it will be a go
    • New Strategist
      • Need to make an announcement
    • Other
  • Develop Long Range Plan
  • Draft May 7 SDA Meeting Agenda
    • Retirements- May 8
    • Kate will ask Lisa Smith to make notebooks
      • Michael Pruter
      • Mitzi Hoback
      • Becky Brandl
      • Carol Jessen
Toby will make a draft agenda for the May 7th Business meeting

SDA Business Meeting Agenda
May 7, 2013
9:00-12:00
ESU 10 Kearney
Objectives
  • Provide Updates on Long Range Planning
  • Provide Updates on state-wide initiatives

9:00 Welcome
Opening Activity

LC Report
  • The ESUCC (administrators), based on a proposal by Matt Blomstedt, eliminated the Leadership Committee (LC) at their March 6 regular meeting in order to "establish a better link between the Executive Director, ESUCC, and Affiliate Groups."
  • This decision was announced at the March 25 LC meeting.
  • The ESUCC Professional Development Leadership (PDL) Committee will assume the responsibilities of the LC effective Fall 2013.
    • #2 David Ludwig, #7 Norm Ronell, #9 Kraig Lofquist, #11 Paul Tedesco, #13 Jeff West, #19 Dennis Pool
  • An Advisory Group will be formed consisting of representatives from the various affiliates and special projects, and will act as a sounding board.
  • Each affiliate group may recommend 1-2 representatives to serve on the Advisory Group, subject to ESUCC approval.
  • The current SDA Bylaws states that the Chair and Recorder attend LC meetings. The strategists' recommendation is to continue with these representative assignments in the Advisory Group format until such a time it would be appropriate to change.
  • Matt Blomstedt's PowerPoint

Revisit/Process April 10 Training
  • Review the information on the wiki
    • What questions do you have?
    • How do you plan to use the information?
Harris Payne- NDE Social Studies Standards

Reminders
ESUPDO dates 2013-14:
  • September 10 and 11 9:00-3:30 (tent. ESU #3 LaVista)
  • January 22 and 23 9:00-3:00 ESU 10
  • May 7 and 8 9:00-3:00 ESU 10

SDA dates 2013-14:
  • SDA Business Meeting: September 12 9:00-3:00 ESU 3
  • Jim Knight Training: November 12 and 13 9:00-3:00 ESU 10
  • SDA Business Meeting: January 21 9:00-3:00 ESU 10
  • MRL Proficiency Scales Training (tentative) April 8 and 9 9:00-3:00 LLC Norfolk
  • SDA Business Meeting: May 6 9:00-12:00 ESU 10

Wikis:
SDA Wiki:
esusda.wikispaces.com
SDA Bucket Group Wiki:
esusdabucket.wikispaces.com
SDA By-laws Wiki:
sda-bylaws.wikispaces.com
ESUPDO EdCamp Wiki:
pdoedcamp.wikispaces.com


Updates on Statewide Initiatives
  • Introduction of new strategist
  • Strategists - Denise O'Brien
  • LC Jeff McQuistan
  • NDE - Freida
    • School Improvement Workshops
    • Teacher/Principal Eval
  • Crisis Team Training- Denise O'Brien
  • Marzano Academy 3- Barb Friesth

Long Range Professional Development Planning
Recommendation for 2013-14 Budget
Long Range Projects

Strategist Meeting
Monday January 14
4:00-7:00
ESU 10 Room A

Agenda
Meeting Objectives
  • Continue Book Study
  • Review January 15 Business Meeting Agenda
  • Discuss Budgeting Process
Bloom's Taxonomy Seinfeld
Bloom's Pirates
Bloom's Andy
  • According to Seinfield
Book Study
  • Chapters 3-5
  • March 19- Denise Chapters 5-7
  • Idea for next year The Energy Bus‚Äč by Jon Gordan
Success Stories
January 15 Business Meeting Agenda
Donlynn Rice will address PDO on January 16 about Teacher/Principal Evaluation
Budgeting Process
  • Recommendation to keep list of Bucket Group trainings to ensure equity

http://www.edweek.org/ew/qc/2012/16src.h31.html?intc=EW-QC12-LFTNAV

SDA Business Meeting Agenda
January 15, 2013
9:00-3:30
ESU 10 Kearney
Objectives
  • Provide Updates on state-wide initiative
  • Determine Long Range Professional Development Plan
9:00 Welcome
Opening Activity
  • Celebrate success

Revisit/process November Training
  • Go back to November 27-28 training (wikipage)
    • Review the information on the wiki for Common Core
      • How can you use these with your schools? What are your plans?
    • Review the information on the wiki for MRL Scales
      • How can you use these with your schools? What are your plans?
    • Instruction Group
      • Discuss a location for statewide resources
      • Where do we house training resources and materials?
  • Review November survey data
  • Common Core
  • MRL Scales
Reminders
ESUPDO dates:
  • January 16 & 17, ESU 10, Kearney
    • January 16 9:00-3:30pm
    • January 17 9:00am-12:00pm
  • May 8 & 9, ESU 10, Kearney
    • Joint PDO Event

SDA dates:
  • April 10, ESU 10, Kearney (Mitch Kubicek -Principals supervising instruction (how to train principals and have framework - language of instruction, feedback on instruction, how to set goals)
    • Toby Boss- preview of the training
  • May 7, ESU 10, Kearney

Wikis:
SDA Wiki:
esusda.wikispaces.com
SDA Bucket Group Wiki:
esusdabucket.wikispaces.com
SDA By-laws Wiki:
sda-bylaws.wikispaces.com
ESUPDO EdCamp Wiki:
pdoedcamp.wikispaces.com


Updates on Statewide Initiatives
  • Introduction of new strategist - Toby Boss - postponed
  • Strategists - Denise O'Brien
  • LC January 16 and 17 - Jeff McQuistan
  • NWEA June Training- Deb Hericks
    • June 3-4, ESU 3
    • June 6-7, ESU 10
    • Climbing the Data Ladders
  • Monthly Forecasting forms no longer have to be filled out
  • Participant surveys need to be completed at the end of a full day or half day (3 hours)
  • Online virtual content will proceed the face to face Climbing the Data Ladders Training
    • Training materials will begin approximately April 22
  • School Improvement Workshops - Freida Lange
  • NDE
    • Mary Ann/Joelene Positive Behavior Supports
  • KICKS2- Deb Paulman
  • Crisis Team Training- Denise O'Brien
  • Marzano Academy 3- Barb Friesth

Long Range Professional Development Planning
  • Bucket Group time
    • Reflection of what we have done
    • Takes the place of the "one time" needs assessment
    • Guiding Questions
      • What are your group's most pressing needs?
      • How do these align with the NDE priorities?
        • Teacher/Principal Evaluation
        • State Wide Longitudinal Data System (SLDS Grant)
        • Assessment (C4L/Writing Assessment)
        • Curriculum (Nebraska Standards, Common Core, CTE Education)
      • What is your recommendation for training sessions? Include:
        • Training Session(s)
        • Budget Needs
        • Dates
    • Reconvene
      • Report by Bucket Group
      • Jim Knight November 12-13, 2013 9:00-3:30pm
      • Discussion of most pressing needs
      • Recommendation for 2013-14 Budget

Adjourn by 3:00

SDA Strategist Meeting - December 19
9:00-3:00 PM
Distance Learning Meeting
Attendance: Toby Boss, Amy Hill, Jeff McQuistan, Freida Lange, Deb Hericks, Denise O'Brien, Matt Blomstedt, Kate Hatch
Meeting Objectives:
  • Review 2012-13 Activities
  • Define 2013-14 Training Needs
  • Draft January 15 SDA Meeting Agenda

Agenda

Stuff I want to discuss:
  • LC Leadership Proposal (Jeff)
    • Looking at how affiliates will be represented on LC
    • LC possibly select who co-chairs will be
    • Representation- affiliates select a member to be on LC for 4 years
      • Not necessary for that person to be in a leadership role in their affiliate
      • Important for members of LC to know what is going on in affiliate and communicate with them
    • Goal to minimize turnover in the LC and create more consistency
    • SDA in good shape with our Strategists process
    • Proposal stage right now
  • Follow-up on November Training: what resources can we put together for statewide use? (Jeff)
  • Outliers Book Discussion Chapters 1-2
Toby
Celebrate Success
  • Provide a professional or personal success.

Discussion Items
  • Book study discussion
  • Selection of strategist (confirm new strategist)
    • Strategist confirmed
    • Discussion of selection process
    • Announcement will be made in January
  • January PDO Update - Freida and Jeff
    • Post-secondary people may change because of conflict with PDO dates
    • Want post-secondary to be at the table
    • Collaborative- how can we all work together
      • Common vocabulary
      • See the roles that each can play
      • Selected what is critical for NDE, ESUs and Post-Secondary need to be involved with statewide
    • Meeting at NDE tomorrow
      • Visit about what NDE members will be sharing in regards to the statewide initiatives
    • ESUCC members are invited and encouraged to attend
      • Vision and needs= collaboration
    • Pam will talk about the structure of each session
      • Start at 9:30am
      • Donlynn- 10 minute overview of Teacher/Principal Evaluation
        • Focus on the "I" what can I bring to the table on this initiative
      • Statewide Longitudinal System
    • See word documents above
    • These two-training dates will drive ESUPDO into the next year
      • Pleased that Post-Secondary is coming to the table
      • Where do we thread the BlendEd initiative?
      • Other content pieces coming along...
      • Building a collaborative PD process/plan with NDE
    • This will feed conversations in April at the Rule 84 planning meeting
    • 74 PDO members currently registered
    • Jeff asked Freida if the ASSIST in AdvancEd would be good to use in the action planning portion on January 17
      • Frameworks action plan or ASSIST would both be good tools
    • Individual affiliate leadership will facilitate the action planning portion of the day
  • Other Updates
    • ESUCC Projects
      • Longitudinal Data System
        • 6 months behind
        • Data analysis cadre that would work closely with NDE
          • ESU folks will be involved
      • Evaluation work
      • Find ways to increase/share capacities to do the work
      • Career Education
      • Checks 4 Learning
      • BlendED
        • Singular place to access PD and content for the entire state of Nebraska
      • Suggestion to create a list of which ESUPDO members are involved in which initiatives at the state level
    • NWEA
      • Survey sent out to get dates for NWEA training
      • Next training is Growth and Goals or Climbing the Data Ladder
      • Climbing the Data Ladder (1st set of dates) June 2013
      • Growth and Goals will be Fall 2013
      • Location for trainings?
        • ESU 3 and ESU 10
      • Purpose of surveys?
        • Concern is having to project out; Can we just do the summary?
        • Deb will ask about this
      • Evaluation
        • Assessment Bucket group may work on creating one for less than an 1/2 day training
    • Teacher Principal Evaluation
      • Meet with staff developers in during the January meetings?
        • Toby will get back to Jim after hearing from Donlynn
      • Decent process lined up
      • Process has different phases
        • Policy- use 7 teacher standards
        • Data Collection- rate the teachers on these standards
        • Goal Setting- teacher reflects on the standards
        • Summative
        • Need template that schools can use
      • Hopefully the conversation can focus on this on January 16
    • Crisis Team Trainings
      • Add an additional Level I and II training for the Fall of 2013
      • Continue to have subcommittee work on this
      • Toby will create time for this group to meet in January
  • Lessons from DL
    • Try to get all DL participants to have the same experience
    • Google Hangout, Skype etc.
    • Recommend we start an open google doc that anyone can add to; collaborative one place to take notes
  • Build the 2013-14 training schedule and budget
    • Budget Worksheet
    • Jim Knight Info
    • Submission Form
    • What do we need? How will we get it? How much will it cost?
    • Will have time to discuss this the afternoon of January 17

    • Strategist will plan to meet
    • Training Schedule:
      • September
        • Social Studies Standards
      • November Jim Knight Coaching
        • week of 11-15, 2013
        • Try to keep it 12-14, 2013
        • ESU 10, Kearney
        • Denise will look into materials costs
        • Coaching component in the Reflective Teacher resource purchased for SDA members
        • How do we help administrators and teachers implement instructional strategies in the classroom/school?
      • January
      • April 8-9, 2014
        • Lifelong Learning Center, Norfolk
        • Educator Goal Setting
        • Process information/trainings
        • Training needs may come out of January PDO trainings
      • May
    • What state-wide trainings will we offer next year?
      • Online trainings?
  • What else should we be doing? (online modules)
  • Agenda for January 15 SDA Meeting
    • Revisit/process November Training
      • More with scales or common core?
    • Preview/Update January 16
    • Provide time for new Learning Forward Standards - Chad Dumas
      • One hour overview
    • Bucket Group time
      • Talk about budgeting
      • Reflection of what we have done
      • Takes the place of needs assessment
        • Toby will be making some guiding questions for the Bucket Groups
    • NDE Mary Ann/Jolene Positive Behavior Supports
    • Freida School Improvement Workshops update
  • Strategist will meet in the afternoon of January 17
  • Review November survey data
  • Create SDA Training Survey?
  • Leveraging the 2012-13 Trainings - how will we use them?
  • Long Range SDA Training plan - from Bucket Groups - what are the needs?
    • Topics for the future?
    • Curriculum
    • Instruction
    • Assessment
    • Leadership
  • May SDA Business Meeting
    • Carol Jessen retiring
    • Mike Pruter- retiring
  • ESUPDO possible end of the year celebration
    • Will discuss at January LC Meeting
  • Read Outliers Chapters 3 and 4 for January meeting
SDA Strategist Meeting - November 26
5:00-7:00 PM
ESU 10 Conference Room A
Kearney NE
Attendance: Kate Hatch, Amy Hill, Toby Boss, Deb Hericks, Jeff McQuistan

Meeting Objectives:
  • Review Nov 27 and 28 Agenda
    • Kate sent Donlynn a description of what the Curriculum Bucket group wanted for the presentation
    • Costs of National Assessments are high and money is not available at the state or federal level
    • Schools are accountable for NeSA and we need to be focus on these assessments
    • If we have time, break into Bucket Groups
    • November 28
      • Mitzi and others cannot give out power points on Marzano scales so SDA purchased books for each participant
      • Possibly buy the Danielson book as well
      • Content and reflective discussions to prepare staff developers to train back at their service units
  • Update on April 10 training
    • Mitch Kubicek- Superintendent at Dorchester will be presenting
      • Language/model of instruction
      • Supervision of instruction
      • Possibly invite members from Higher Ed
  • SDA Business meeting will be January 15, 2013
    • ESUPDO meeting will be January 16-17, 2013
  • Selection of strategist (select candidate to visit with)
  • Determine focus for the remainder of our meetings
    • Resources to order for upcoming training/Budget planning
  • Communicate about SDA projects/Bucket Group priorities
Celebrate Success
  • Provide a professional or personal success.

SDA 2013-14 Training
  • November
    • Common Core - 27th
      • November 27 9:00-3:30, ESU 10 Kearney The Curriculum Bucket group led by Kate Hatch has Donlynn Rice lined up to provide a one-day overview of the common core standards. This was identified as a pressing need and we look forward to the presentation and appreciate Donlynn's efforts. The following description includes more information about the training:

        Nebraska is among the vast majority of states who have participated in the discussion of the Common Core Standards for reading and for mathematics. As part of the process of standards revision in Nebraska, the Nebraska standards are being aligned with the Common Core Standards. On November 27, 2012, NDE Curriculum and Instruction Administrator will provide an overview of the Common Core Standards. The following topics will be discussed:Understanding structure (Math and LA)Text complexity and implications? What does an assessment look like? How does it fit with College/Career Ready and 21st Century Skills?
    • MRL Scales - 28th
      • Resource: Becoming a Reflective Teacher
      • November 28 9:00-3:30, ESU 10 Kearney The Curriculum Bucket Group also brought forward the suggestion to provide training about Marzano's Proficiency Scales. As such, we have worked out a arrangement with the Marzano folks to make this available. The following description includes more information about the training:

        Providing clear learning goals and scales can help ensure effective lessons and that students are continually aware of their progress. Learn how Marzano's Proficiency Scales can be used to target instruction, link to assessment, be utilized in the grading process, and as a way to provide feedback. ESU SDA's own Mitzi Hoback, Suzanne Whisler, Lenny VerMaas and Toby Boss will provide training about the Marzano Model, proficiency scales, and their importance.
  • April 10: Supervision of Instruction
  • Survey Data

Draft general discussion points for each strategist meeting::
  • Wednesday December 19, CCC Grand Island, 9-3
    • Book study discussion
      • Intro-Chapter 2 pg. 68 Toby
    • Agenda for January 17 SDA Meeting
      • Bucket Group time
    • Selection of strategist (confirm new strategist)
    • Updates
      • NWEA
      • NDE
      • Teacher Principal Evaluation
    • Review November survey data
    • Create SDA Training Survey?
    • Leveraging the 2012-13 Trainings - how will we use them?
    • Long Range SDA Training plan - from Bucket Groups - what are the needs?
      • Build the 2013-14 training schedule and budget
      • What do we need? How will we get it? How much will it cost?
      • Training Schedule:
        • September
        • November
        • January
        • April
        • May
    • What state-wide trainings will we offer next year?
      • Online trainings?
    • What else should we be doing? (online modules)
  • Tuesday, January 15, ESU 10, 4-7 PM Room A
    • Book study discussion, Ch. 3 & 4, pg 69-115 (Amy)
    • Review January 17 Agenda
  • Tuesday March 19, CCC Grand Island, 9-3
    • Book study discussion, Ch. 5 & 6, pg 116-176 (Denise)
    • Review survey feedback
    • Feedback from bucket groups
    • Finalize 2013-14 Schedule
    • Continue long range planning - what is next?
    • Plan Agenda for the May 7 SDA Meeting
  • Monday May 6, ESU 10, 4-7 PM Room A
    • Book study discussion, Ch. 7-9, pg 177-269 (Kate)
    • Review May 7 Agenda
  • Wednesday June 19, LLC Norfolk, 8:30-4:00
    • Select next book to read

Other Discussion Items

SDA Strategist Meeting - September 10, 2012
1:00-5:00
ESU 3 Sarpy/Washington Room
LaVista, NE
Attendance: Toby Boss, Jeff McQuistan, Denise O'Brien, Kate Hatch, Amy Hill (DL), Deb Hericks

Meeting Objectives:
  • Get Caught Up - What's going on in the ESU PDO world?
  • Review and finalize September 13 SDA Meeting Agenda
  • Review and draft/finalize 2012-13 training sessions:
    • Tue-Wed Nov 27-28 SDA Training at ESU #10 Kearney, 9-3:30 Donlynn Rice: Common Core Standards, Educator Framework (making connections to Learner Engagement) Room B
      • Kate's group will plan the November 27th training
    • Wed April 10 SDA Training at ESU #10 Kearney, 9-3 Outside Facilitator: Learner Engagement, Room E and F
  • Draft general discussion points for each strategist meeting::
    • Wednesday December 19, CCC Grand Island, 9-3
    • Monday January 14, ESU 10, 4-7 PM Room A
    • Tuesday March 19, CCC Grand Island, 9-3
    • Monday May 6, ESU 10, 4-7 PM Room A

Agenda

Celebrate Success
  • Provide a professional or personal success.
    • Consider doing this at a SDA Business Meeting for each ESU
    • Youth Frontiers http://www.youthfrontiers.org
      • Kindness, courage, and respect retreats
      • Need to have a gym
      • 1 high school student per small group of kids/ lead the small groups

Stuff I want to discuss:
Toby
  • Requests for updates at meeting:
    • Valorie Foy - 11:00
      • An email was sent out to Staff Developers but many did not get it
      • Toby asked school folks and they received an email from Valorie
      • Toby asked Valorie to give a summary at the SDA Business meeting
    • Social Studies Standards- any news?? Toby said no
      • Bottom line: SS group met this summer and did a rewrite
        • Have not heard anything else
        • Hired Harris Payne as the Social Studies Director for NDE
      • Possibly have Donlynn Rice
    • Deb Schrader: John Thomsen (via Deb Paulman) to have a minute or two added to the SDA agenda for Nebraska Association of the Gifted (NAG)- they'd like to highlight a couple of upcoming events.
      • Put this on the agenda
    • Kelly Clapp - Nancy Headrick Trainer-of-Trainers Workshop for ESU Staff Developers on the SDA meeting agenda Thursday? This workshop is sponsored by Nebraska Career Education (Gregg Christensen).
      • Put this on the agenda
    • Possible activity: How many email messages does Toby have in his inbox today?
  • Teacher eval update
    • September 13- Principal Evaluation Focus
    • October 1-2 Leadership Committee meets to form recommendations for State Board
    • October 24 First Pilot Schools Meeting; Dr. Laura Goe presenting
    • November Pilot Schools begin work
    • Fall 2013 Pilot Schools implement
    • Fall 2014 Model ready for schools
  • Bucket Groups
    • Leadership and Instruction
    • What are we already doing?
Amy - possible 2013-14 training (CCSS); One page overview, Proposal from Marzano
  • Common Core- Marzano: what can they provide for us?
  • TOT- to become familiar with Common Core Standards and implementing them
    • Tricia Parker, NDE, wants to recommend adopt the Common Core and use resources to help schools implement
    • ESU 1- has visited with NNNC ESU administrators about the possibility of training
  • Do we want to pursue this for a training for next year?
    • Recommendations need to come from our Bucket Groups - especially Assessment Bucket
  • What do we do in November for training?
    • Curriculum Bucket Group- wanted Donlynn for November
      • Want to wait until after this training to reevaluate
    • Want to look at series of trainings not one day trainings
  • ESU 2 and ESU 7 will be running a Marzano Academy
    • June 3-4, 2013
    • September 26-27, 2013
    • April 3-4, 2014
Denise- Crisis Team Trainings
  • Discuss at SDA Meeting
  • Denise will contact Dr. Dudley
    • Find out about Contract (with all trainings listed/cancellation clause) and materials for training (books)
  • Denise will put flyer on the wikipage
Kate
Jeff - mentoring, directory,
  • SDA Mentors- Suzanne Whisler, ESU 4; Mentoring: Dallas Lewandowski, ESU 10 Jen Madison, ESU 6; Mentoring: Diane Beninato, ESU 2
  • Toby will make sure new members update SDA directory information
    • Toby will make links to the google form and the link
  • NWEA Facilitator- select a session on the afternoon of September 12
    • People interested in having a conversation about the training welcome to attend
    • Discuss future of the training
  • 2013-2014 (yes) budgeting
    • Jeff will have more information about this after tomorrow's LC meeting
  • strategist selection
    • Discuss at November 26th meeting
  • courtesy fund
    • Check with Carol Jessen on status of the fund (Toby)
  • strategist book study
    • Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
Freida
Deb H.

Getting Caught Up
  • LC Update
    • ESUPDO great turnout over 100 people
    • Key focus is to come up with January training
    • Evaluation to help provide feedback to move forward
    • Needs assessment for all of PDO prior to October 22 ESUCC retreat
      • Figure out where we are at and where we need to go
    • NDE and ESU Leadership meetings
      • October 22 and April
      • Meets Rule 84 requirements
  • NDE Update
    • Rule 10 signed
    • School Improvement workshops- put a link on the wiki (Toby)
      • Possibility for facilitators to get together on September 12 in the afternoon to discuss presentation
      • Facilitator Guide is up on NDE website

Review and finalize September 13 SDA Meeting Agenda
Draft Agenda
8:30 Welcome
Introduce/Recognize New SDA members, NDE partners, Curriculum Director representative

Reminders:
Update membership list (Toby put link here)

ESUPDO dates:
  • January 16 & 17, ESU 10, Kearney
  • May 8 & 9, ESU 10, Kearney

SDA dates:
  • November 27 & 28, ESU 10, Kearney (Donlynn Rice, Common Core, Educator Framework; Mitzi Hoback - Proficiency Scales)
  • January 15, ESU 10, Kearney
  • April 10, ESU 10, Kearney (Mitch Kubicek -Principals supervising instruction (how to train principals and have framework - language of instruction, feedback on instruction, how to set goals)
  • May 7, ESU 10, Kearney

Wikis:
SDA Wiki:
esusda.wikispaces.com
SDA Bucket Group Wiki:
esusdabucket.wikispaces.com
SDA By-laws Wiki:
sda-bylaws.wikispaces.com
ESUPDO EdCamp Wiki:
pdoedcamp.wikispaces.com

State Writing discussion
  • Table discuss plans
  • Share out

Updates:
  • Suzanne Whisler RtI Math Workshops
  • Deb Paulman Nebraska Association of the Gifted (NAG)
  • Susan Evans- Nancy Headrick Trainer-of-Trainers Workshop for ESU Staff Developers October 1, 2012 ESU 10
  • Denise O'Brien- Crisis Team Trainings
  • Toby Boss- School Improvement Workshops; External Review Training September 25-26 Lincoln
  • Jolene Dredge & Barb Friesth ESU 2 and ESU 7 Marzano Academy
    • June 3-4, 2013
    • September 26-27, 2013
    • April 3-4, 2014

10:00am Bucket Group work
Process last 2 days
  • What does this mean for our Bucket?
    • Table discussion
    • Share out
  • November 28- Content Cadres
Essential Questions:
  • What should our work be this year?
  • What should we provide to the rest of the organization?
  • Over the next 2 years?
  • Needs assessment
  • Possible trainings
  • Scout to find new best practices
  • What are the needs of schools?

12:00 Working Lunch

12:45 Continued Bucket Group work

2:30pm Share out
(KWL or Exit ticket?)

Review and draft/finalize 2012-13 training sessions:
  • Tue-Wed Nov 27-28 (Content Cadres) SDA Training at ESU #10 Kearney, 9-3:30 Donlynn Rice: Common Core Standards, Educator Framework (making connections to Learner Engagement) Room B
  • Wed April 10 SDA Training at ESU #10 Kearney, 9-3 Outside Facilitator: Learner Engagement, Room E and F
Draft general discussion points for each strategist meeting::
  • Wednesday December 19, CCC Grand Island, 9-3
  • Monday January 14, ESU 10, 4-7 PM Room A
  • Tuesday March 19, CCC Grand Island, 9-3
  • Monday May 6, ESU 10, 4-7 PM Room A

Other
  • Meet briefly on Wednesday afternoon
    • NWEA Facilitator training (on PDO agenda)

    • add NDE SIP Workshop Planning?